Monday, January 25, 2010
"My cup runneth over"
One of my favorite movies is Hope Floats. The grandmother in this movie often states this phrase, "My cup runneth over" to her grandaughter who doesn't really understand what it means. At the end of the movie, the little girl whose heart is healing, says to her mother, "my cup runneth over." I often feel that my cup is overflowing with blessings to numerous to measure and that I almost don't have room for more. There is so much suffering in the world, why am I so blessed? This past weekend, we had a real scare when Cal was diagnosed with a blockage in his Left Anterior Descending artery. It was 95 % blocked which meant that blood could not flow through it freely. This would have caused a massive heart attack within a month, I was told, by the Cardiologist. I had been feeling for several months that Cal was at risk. I can't tell you why I felt that, other than to say, I have been given the Gift of the Holy Ghost and strive to live by the Spirit. Whenever I have had these kinds of feelings, I know that they are warnings, or promptings, or comfort, or guidance etc. I have been nagging Cal all this time and I know he was getting pretty sick of me saying things about his health and lack of exercise. When the doctor told me that he would have died, I was struck with two feelings, terror and gratitude. Terror in knowing how close I came to losing my husband, best friend and true love, and gratitude for my Heavenly Father who saw fit to give me feelings, and thoughts which prompted me to push Cal to action, as well as a warning of what would possibly come if he did not. I have become so familiar with these wonderful feelings of the Spirit of God, thanks to adversity and trials which I have dealt with all these years. I have come to understand that "All these things will give me experience, and be for my good, if I walk uprightly before the Lord." What a wonderful blessing it is to know that if I am faithful to my covenants, eternal blessings will be mine. I know that if the outcome had been different, I could still have handled whatever came because My Savior has promised me that I "will always have his spirit to be with me", if I keep His commandments and exercise faith in His power to heal, redeem and sanctify. Hope is born of faith and gives us an assurance that God's promises will be fulfilled. Faith means less worrying on my part and greater dependance upon His ability to save, and rescue, and put things in order for my benefit and peace. I love My Heavenly Father and feel so grateful for a Mother and Father who instilled this love in me long before I can even remember. I always knew that He was there for me, always. I came to know my Savior loves me many years ago, standing on a hill in Palmyra New York, as I contemplated His life and mission. After that sacred night, I knew beyond any doubt that He knows me and loves me. How blessed we all are to have this knowledge. How important it is to make these things known to those who do not. May you be lifted of your burdens and find rest to your souls, just as He has promised, is my hope for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Knowing what a close-call Cal had made was very humbling indeed. We're so grateful you both followed the spirit and had things checked out!
Thank heavens for the spirit. I am thank for you and your spirit. I love you!
I know that feeling of being so blessed and thinking why am I so lucky. I am grateful so many things and now I am grateful that cal is ok and that we still have time together on this earth as a family. I LOVE YOU GUYs!
I love you Wendy. You are a constant testimony of faith and hope.
Post a Comment